The Story Of My Life

IMG_2262

IMG_2273a

IMG_2271

IMG_2263

IMG_2264

IMG_2268

Sweater: J.Crew {similar} | Pants: Target {similar} | Shoes: Corso Como | Bag: Charming Charlie’s {similar} | Necklace c/o Musana Jewelry | Bracelets: JEWELIQ, Isshou No Yakusoku | Earrings: Anthropologie

Happy May, friends!  I’m pretty excited for this month because I’ll be doing a little traveling for various things, my family is celebrating a couple of birthdays, it’ll be our 4 year anniversary and Mother’s Day is coming up too!  I think this just might be one of my top favorite months of the year!  Today kicks off the Blog Every Day In May initiative by Story of My Life!  Today’s prompt is “The Story Of Your Life” in 250 words or less… so here goes:

Born and raised in Michigan, I’m a Taiwanese American with a brother that is 8 years older than me.  I was always one of the youngest in my class and throughout my childhood I took piano lessons, played the flute, Chinese folk danced, ice skating, ballet, and gymnastics.  I graduated from the University of Michigan some number of years ago with a major in Economics and a minor in partying (kidding), but I do like to have a good time.  The first job I got out of school, a healthcare IT consultant, is the current job that I am at now in Missouri.  For 6 or so years, I traveled the world with my job and loved it, but lately it’s gotten really tiring to do so.  My husband works at the same company as I do and most people question our relationship since he went to my rival school in college football.   No, but in all seriousness, he is my best friend and we get along so well.  After 3 years of marriage, we had a little baby boy that is now the boss of our lives.  I have a wonderful and loving extended family but unfortunately none of them live close by.  My favorite things in the world to eat are bubble tea, ice cream, pizza, Korean BBQ, sushi, and soup dumplings.  Oh and how could I forget to mention, for the past 3 years, I’ve been a blogger by nights and weekends.  And I love to shop.

Boom – that was exactly 250 words!!

And lastly, I wanted to share a little bit more with you about the background behind my Musana Jewelry necklace.  Each purchase supports an organization that makes a very real grassroots difference in its community. 100% of profits of jewelry sales are invested in social programs for the artisans, such as literacy and English language classes, business development courses, and seminars and trainings on health and wellness. There are ten artisans and each supports several children and grandchildren, almost always without help from their absent husbands. Mothers are important all over the world, but in a country like Uganda where women end up being the primary breadwinners raising two generations of children, they are the cornerstone of a developing society.  I really love the cause that shopping helps support women to support growth!  Just for my readers, for the month of May, you receive 15% off your Musana Jewelry purchase with code SANDY15.

I’ll be linking up to Because Shanna Said So, The Pleated Poppy, and Style Elixir with this post!

The winner of the My Momma’s Kitchen giveaway is Ashley H. from @ashley_ete!  Congrats girl!  Send me an email at sandyalamode(at)gmail(dot)com to claim your prize! πŸ™‚

1. April 30, 2013 / 10:04 pm

I loved reading this and learning a bit more about you. πŸ™‚ What a lovely post.

2. April 30, 2013 / 10:12 pm

I love that you’ve paired red with aqua, and those printed pants are so fab!

3. April 30, 2013 / 10:34 pm

Well done! You have lived a very happy life it sounds! Happy anniversary month! I love the navy and mint here. The red heels were a good choice as well!

4. April 30, 2013 / 11:24 pm

Omgsh. I’m seriously considering doing this challenge. After all, May is my birth month! It should be extra special, shouldn’t it? But as a busy grad student with not much time… Can I really do it? Ah! So tempting! I think I’m gonna try it..

Does your husband get to travel the world with you too? It must be really interesting having your partner as a co-worker too. I never tried ballet (although I always wanted to), I took one gymnastics class in my life and loved it (my mom didn’t sign me up because she was scared I would break multiple bones), but I did take ice skating lessons. It was SO fun.

Really enjoyed reading this post, and so happy that I found out about this blog everyday in May initiative!

xo,
    -Nathy
    Earnestyle

5. May 1, 2013 / 12:44 am

Sandy, I was realllly contemplating on doing this challenge, but I know for a fact that May is going to be a busy month for me, and there’s just no way! I’m so happy you are though, so now I can just live vicariously through you πŸ™‚

Love your polka dot pants and love your 250 word autobiography. I think it’s awesome you and your hubby work for the same company! Oh, and I love how you ended it with “I love to shop” <33

6. May 1, 2013 / 1:46 am

Girl, you are looking good! Look how skinny you are now!!!

OMG Chinese folk dance, I did that when I was little but thankfully it wasn’t for long, haha! and I was totally an Econ major too, and only because it was the “slacker” major and had like no competition/acceptance process, and it was the only thing that allowed me to graduate on time πŸ™‚

I considered doing the blog everyday in may challenge, but a lot of the topics seemed kind of like… desperate for content? irrelevant? not something I wanted to share? so I’ll probably loosely follow the daily prompts, but still push myself to blog every day! πŸ™‚

7. May 1, 2013 / 5:06 am

Happy early anniversary!
    You have such a cool life story and I definitely have some similarities as well. I was a management consultant for a few years but definitely got tired of the travel.
    I will also eat any of your fave foods any time, especially soup dumplings or pizza with a great mushroom and prosciutto topping!

xoxo,
    Chic ‘n Cheap Living

8. May 1, 2013 / 5:28 am

I just posted on my blog about how this is my favourite colour at the moment! You styled it perfectly with the fun pants and what a gorgeous pair of shoes.

9. May 1, 2013 / 7:18 am

I just couldn’t do mine in 250 words or less! I don’t know how to be brief πŸ™‚ I tried to teach myself piano but always wished I would’ve taken lessons (kinda still do). And I know how you feel about having a little one who is now the boss of your life! πŸ™‚

10. May 1, 2013 / 7:48 am

I loved learning more about you. It was so tough writing our life in 250 words. I think I may have gone a little over in mine.

11. May 1, 2013 / 9:14 am

You look adorable–and I loved reading this little story about you. So fun to learn more!

12. May 1, 2013 / 9:18 am

You went with the necklace! It looks great with this outfit. Hope I get to see you this month! xo Carolyn

13. May 1, 2013 / 9:47 am

Very pretty red heels – I love the pop of bright color! Awesome necklace and traveling this month will be so much fun! I’m jealous!
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

14. May 1, 2013 / 9:56 am

You look adorable in this outfit and you did a fab job summing up your life in 250 words!

xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

15. May 1, 2013 / 10:03 am

Oh I love that Necklace! I would totally wear something like that! That is awesome!! It would match a lot of different outfits I own too.

16. May 1, 2013 / 10:07 am

Loved reading more about you! Pretty color top, too!

17. May 1, 2013 / 12:16 pm

What a great way to share more about yourself. Learned a lot. Great outfit and accessories, as always.

18. May 1, 2013 / 1:29 pm

This necklace is gorgeous – can go e=with so many things

19. May 1, 2013 / 1:46 pm

I love the necklace! Happy early anniversary!

20. May 1, 2013 / 2:02 pm

I had exactly 250 words too. It wasn’t by accident though.

21. May 1, 2013 / 3:54 pm

This is so sweet, loved learning little things I didn’t know about you Sandy! And ADORE the fun outfit.
    xx, Emily

22. Jenna Wood
    May 1, 2013 / 4:35 pm

That necklace compliments your purse so well. It looks very light to wear too!

23. May 1, 2013 / 5:09 pm

So fun! I love learning about other people’s jobs. It’s so interesting.

Love those pants. I want.

24. May 1, 2013 / 6:11 pm

love that necklace! I have so many outfits that it would pair nicely with! Love it!

25. May 1, 2013 / 6:40 pm

Happy Early Anniversary! Hubby and I just celebrated our fifth anniversary. I love the necklace too! It looks fab on you!

26. May 2, 2013 / 7:48 am

Love the whole outfit but that necklace is such a show stopper. Love it!

27. May 2, 2013 / 12:47 pm

love the outfit, love the condensed autobiography. :)have a safe and fun trip in Chicago!

28. May 2, 2013 / 12:48 pm

Cool story! I love sushi too. πŸ™‚ I luke the polka dot pants on you. Sometimes I think I may be to old for it but maybe not.

Mo

29. May 2, 2013 / 6:14 pm

I love the simplicity of this outfit, and the crimson heels with the mint. Looking lovely! πŸ™‚