• blogette

IMG_2916

IMG_2918

IMG_2979

IMG_2981

IMG_2985

IMG_2988

I don’t want to jinx anything, but these days Austin has been sleeping from 7:30PM to about 7:15AM in the mornings (we HAVE to wake him up to go to daycare or else he could probably sleep until 8AM).  Who would have ever imagined this day would come?!?!  After about a month of waking up at 5AM EVERY MORNING, these past few days have been really nice.  We’ve all been able to get a little bit more sleep in the mornings, which makes a better day for everyone.  ;)

When he is awake, one of his new favorite activities is watching videos.  When he wants to watch, he does this hand wave across the face motion and says something like “Beezy vip, beezy vip”.  No idea where he got that from, but all that matters in this household is that we understand what he wants.  He’s really starting to babble and talk constantly and even gets “chatty” on his daycare report cards.  It’s really pretty cute and I am loving this stage.

When Austin wants to watch his videos, we bring out our HP Envy and have his favorite videos bookmarked on the laptop.  We love the laptop because it is lightweight, convertible between a laptop and a tablet, has great battery life, portable and is really the perfect size for little toddler eyes.  Some of his top movies and songs are Baby Einstein – World Animals, Baby Einstein – On The Go, and the Chinese song Looking For Friends.  The laptop is even great for myself, to do some social media/blog reading on, because that’s what I love doing in the evenings to unwind after he goes to bed.  ;)

We definitely try to limit the amount of time he uses technology to 30 minutes – 1 hour each day.  What are your thoughts on toddlers and technology use?  Do your/did your toddlers have a favorite video/TV series?  We’re always looking for some new, educational and fun videos for Austin to watch.  He usually sticks to his faves for awhile and screams when we introduce new ones to him that don’t fit his criteria.  That guy, he’s got a real personality!

The HP Envy was provided to me by Staples, but all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.

14 Comments ( Reply )

1. Christy
    Jul 23, 2013 @ 11:01 pm

Austin is so cute :) Grace loves to watch videos too. As soon as we turn on anything- TV, computer, ipad… she’ll stop whatever she’s doing and just… STARE with her mouth wide open. We try to limit the amount of TV too and try to engage her more with books, reading and playing with her toys. Her favorites are actually Chinese soap dramas!!! like the ones that we use to watch in highschool! haha… oh dear. So cool that you got an HP envy!

Christy
    Sunnywithasideof…

2. Kathleen
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 1:10 am

That is so adorable! What a cutie pie :)
    katsfashionfix.blogspot.com

3. Anna
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 1:54 am

Oh my goodness, talk about a dream sleep sched. lol. Obsessed with your polka dot shorts, love. Fabulous as always. If you get a sec, I’ve got some super exciting news I’m sharing on my blog today. I’d love if you’d check it out. xo

4. Denysia Yu
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 3:29 am

I think kids usually get calm when they are stuck with a show!

5. Tara
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 4:55 am

He is so, so cute!

6. Mel
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 7:50 am

Adorable!!!!

7. Krysten
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 8:40 am

I think it’s good to limit the amount of technology a toddler uses… but I’m also amazed at how quickly kids pick it up. I rarely used computers as a kid so of course I had a learning curve that kids these days (wow, dated myself with that phrase!) don’t have to deal with.

It’ll be fun to watch Austin grow up and embrace technology!

8. Emmy
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 10:30 am

Your little Austin is too adorable. I totally understand when you say you have to limit his time if front of the laptop. I have to do the same with my little one, although it’s really hard! Eeek!

9. Lai
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 10:41 am

Kids go through different stages when they are growing up. Enjoy the time when he’s sleeping longer, which buys you more time for yourself. Our kids love to watch videos before they go to bed, especially the home videos that I produced when my daughter was a baby. They also read books from iPad and play kids games.

10. Always Maylee
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 10:55 am

Isn’t it amazing how well kids know technology nowadays. My niece, who is 2, can work an iphone better than I can. And she even called me one day without her mom knowing. Seriously, happiest day ever, haha! :)

xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

11. ilene
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

he is too cute! i can’t believe how fast Austin is growing!

what i have observed from parents with toddlers when it comes to technology – it seems to me that their children consume as much technology as the parents. not that it’s wrong or necessarily right, but children imitate what their parents or adults around them do. it amazes me that my 2 year old niece knows how to work an iphone – and it’s because she observes us all on our phones! also our world is so tech-savy, how can toddlers not be surrounded by it? i suppose i’ll think about this harder when it’s my turn to parent. ;)

12. AS Style & Design
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 3:17 pm

Oh, what a beautiful boy!!!!
    We are also the whole day connected.
    Kisses

13. shannon
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 5:14 pm

Austin is such a cutie pie!!! And he’s getting so big! His sleep schedule sounds wonderful.

14. Lauren @ Style of One's Own
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 5:40 pm

Austin is so stinkin cute!! I think that technology can be both a blessing and a curse. I am definitely not for the “tv as babysitter” type of technology use. But for educational programs/games, I think it can open so many doors for little ones. My BF is into computer programming and website design and you better believe I will encourage my kids to get into that as early as possible! (Please note these are entirely hypothetical kids at this point, lol.)

Lauren