If I can do it, you can do it – Lampshade D.I.Y.

So I’m seriously not the most crafty person, I really wish I had more time and talent for craft, but a few weeks ago I did redo a lampshade that I’m pretty proud about.  It’s by no means perfect but it’s my little pride and joy since I made it and put it together all by myself.  🙂  First, I started with a green lamp stand that I thrifted for $3.  It’s a fabulous green color with some great curves.

Then I found a lamp shade for $2 at another thrift store, score!  Except, next time, I would go for a flat instead of ribbed shade as the ribs kind of show through when the lamp is turned on.  Oops, lesson learned.

Then take some brown Kraft paper and roll the lamp shade along the paper and make marks on the top and bottom every few inches until you get all the way around the lamp shade.  Then cut out Kraft paper along those marks.  Then the fun part, find a fabric that you want to use for your lamp shade (must coordinate with the lamp stand) and cut out your fabric 1-2 inches bigger on all sides than the Kraft paper template.  The fabric was the most expensive part of the project, especially because I used a designer fabric (does anyone know the designer of this fabric?  I can’t figure it out for the life of me!).  Sew one of the side edges in by 1/2 inch as it will be the part that wraps around on top of the not sewn edge and sew the top edge in as well by 1/2 inch.. Then wrap the fabric around your lamp shade, folding the top and bottom edges inside.

Glue the edges to the inside of the lamp shade.  This was kind of the hard part because you have to pull the fabric so that the outside is flat and there aren’t any bumps.  It doesn’t really matter what the inside looks like.  I suppose you could have sewed down the bottom edge too but I was lazy and you can be too since no one will see the bottom insides.

OK, all done with the lamp shade!  Like I said, let’s blame the fact that I got a ribbed lampshade as the reason for why I couldn’t get my fabric completely flat on the outside.  Hopefully you’ll have better luck (esp. with a non-ribbed lamp shade).

Put your lampshade on top of your lamp stand and you are done!  Plug lamp in, turn light on, grab a book, get a cup of tea and get cozy on the couch next to your D.I.Y. lampshade!  We have ours in our living room so I get to look at it every day.  And I am obsessed with the fabric, such pretty colors!  But the best thing about this project was the fact that it was less than $10 to make!

That’s all folks!  Have you made one of these before?  Got any other tips?

1. November 14, 2011 / 8:07 pm

Aww, it looks lovely! And congrats on the bump!! LOL. Sorry I have been m.i.a. lately as well…. I’ll forgive you if you forgive me 😉

xoxo

2. November 14, 2011 / 8:31 pm

Super cute and so simple! Great job! I also hear the spray adhesive works great on getting the fabric on the flat shades, makes it super even and look fab!

3. November 14, 2011 / 9:04 pm

whoa! that looks greaaaaat – i should attempt it. or you can make me one. hehe. 😉

4. November 14, 2011 / 9:17 pm

and I am so glad you found feast.fashion.faves…so that I could find you!!
    I love your blog!!
    and this DIY lampshade is awesome!! I love the print you picked out….and this will be an easy way to re-vamp some lampshades that I have!
    you’re awesome!

<3Amanda
    feast.fashion.faves

5. November 14, 2011 / 9:25 pm

Fantastic! This is just what I needed…I’ve got a couple of lampshade that need some sprucing up 🙂

6. November 14, 2011 / 10:01 pm

You can always rip off all the old fabric and just use the wire frame as your guide. Pretty color choices!

7. November 14, 2011 / 10:48 pm

Looks good, I like!

8. November 14, 2011 / 11:28 pm

Oooh la la!! This looks great :] Who would give away such a lovely lamp stand, well I guess what they say is true. An old man’s trash is another’s treasure!

I have some things saved up that I want to cover in fabric! Waiting to go home over thanksgiving to implement the projects since my little college town is limited to fabrics.

ps. your carpet looks EXTRA comfy!

9. November 14, 2011 / 11:32 pm

I love how cute and simple this is – simple diy’s are the best :). I recently revamped a plain lampshade by covering it in lace and spray painting. The results were amazing – it made me want to cover everything in my house and spray paint!

10. November 15, 2011 / 1:53 am

This really is drab to fab! Looks good, Sandy! What a great addition to any space 🙂

11. November 15, 2011 / 2:51 am

WOW! you really did a great job sprucing that lampshade up!

12. November 15, 2011 / 7:50 am

I love a DIY…I do one monthly…and this one is awesome!

13. November 15, 2011 / 7:52 am

ooo what a great idea! and easy! plus has a million possibilities.

thanks for sharing!

14. November 15, 2011 / 8:00 am

What a nice idea! It looks fabulous 🙂

15. November 15, 2011 / 9:10 am

ahhh love this!

16. November 15, 2011 / 9:18 am

Brilliant!! I bought two lamps at Target ((they were on sale for 4$ each)) and I just realllllllllly dislike the pattern. I have been meaning to recover them and this tutorial makes it look super easy!! I can’t wait to try it out!!!

17. November 15, 2011 / 10:58 am

Lovely! What a sweet idea and darling fabric!

18. November 15, 2011 / 11:39 am

I love the green of that lamp base! You did such a great job. As for making the fabric lay flatter when you glue it – you can just clip it – to clip a curve keep in mind that an outside curve (shaped like an upside down U) needs to be clipped to within a breath of the seam line. An inside curve (shaped like a right side up U) can be either clipped or you can cut very small notches (V shape) out of the curve itself in order to have it lay flat. That makes it easier to pull the fabric taught when you glue it. (I’m not an expert, and I’ve never actually done this for anything other than clothing, but the concept should work right?)

19. November 15, 2011 / 12:33 pm

cute! will remember this for next time I need a new lamp. It usually takes me forever to find a lampshade I like so this is a great DIY!

20. November 15, 2011 / 1:48 pm

Good job! I love DIY projects. 🙂

And I love that you are embracing your belly bump. I seriously loved dressing around mine. A few of my clothes actually looked better on me with the bump!! I’m so happy that all is well. ttys!

21. November 15, 2011 / 1:55 pm

from a fellow non-crafty-gal, i want to attack my old plain boring lampshade in our family room right this very minute! if i can only find some fabric around here i just might.

it looks awesome. good work!

22. November 15, 2011 / 2:52 pm

that lampshade looks fabulous girl! but i still don’t know if i would trust myself enough to make something like them. art challenged person over here! ha
    xo TJ

23. November 15, 2011 / 5:54 pm

super cute! and way better than it was originally, way to go!

24. November 15, 2011 / 6:21 pm

Love this DIY – I don’t know what it is about lamps but they really make a room look so pretty! Thanks for sharing!

25. November 15, 2011 / 6:33 pm

The lampshade is impressive….we recently spray painted lamps orange, so that was adventurous haha

26. November 15, 2011 / 8:36 pm

That’s so cute! I love the idea, and that fabric is pretty!

27. November 15, 2011 / 9:02 pm

To colors and pattern would so go with mine and Lilly’s room decor! Super cute!

28. November 15, 2011 / 11:19 pm

this one looks like one of those very cute printed ones from ikea!

29. November 16, 2011 / 8:23 am

WOW, impressive work mama… and all for less than $10! Great lamp base.

30. November 16, 2011 / 2:54 pm

I am a new follower and I have to say, your blog/site is FAB! I am in love with the idea of re-vamping an old lamp instead of tossing it out for a new one!
    Can’t wait to try this new DIY project!

Feel free to stop by my blog sometime, I’m a complete newbie!

xoxo,
    Francesca

31. November 19, 2011 / 7:12 pm

this is so fabulous! i looove that shade of green!

32. July 9, 2012 / 6:25 pm

LITERALLY THRIFTED THIS SAME LAMP STAND! Except I paid $7…wahhhh! LOL!

Rachel
    Hardinghappenings.com

33. Make Everyday is Mother’s Day! If you are finding a great gift for your Mom, Please look through this one: https://www.teechip.com/emojimothersdaymomhearteyesemojilove2541003
    Tag: Mother’s Day Funny Gift, Father’s Day Funny Gift, Earth day, Green Day, Everyday Is Earth day, Love Our Mom, Gift For Mammy, Mummy, #EveryDayIsMothersDay, #EveryDayIsEarthDay, #EveryDayIsFathersDay !
    Thank you so much!