DIY Instagram Wall Art with Washi Tape

DIY Instagram Wall Art with Washi Tape

I’ve really been itching to spruce up our rental house as I think I mentioned this before, but much of our furniture and decor is from college or was given to us for free.  But I wanted to step up our game a bit, but stay kid friendly and not break the bank.  Because I am pretty obsessed with Instagram right now and it gives me slight heartburn that many of my photos are digital and I don’t print them out, I decided that I wanted to put up some of my square Instagram prints on a wall and make a collage out of it, in other words, make my own Instagram wall art. I decided to do it in our kid’s play room because there is a lot of space there and as Vivian grows up, we really will need to monitor them in there so would need a nice adult’s sitting area.

As some of you may or may not know, I recently attended SNAP! Conference which is geared towards crafters and creators. I made my own skirt, luggage tags, cards and although I liked some crafts better than others, I had a blast at the conference!  One sponsor they had at the conference was Scotch and they gave out lots of washi tape.  There’s so many things you can do with washi tape and the best part if that they come in super cute designs and aren’t super permanent tape in case you mess up your project or don’t want to mess up your walls.

My friend Jacque at Looks for Lovelies had raved to me before about Persnickety Prints as a great local (and online) shop to get pictures printed out. What amazed me really was their great prices and how FAST they were. I submitted my prints online one day and was able to pick them up in their store in Orem, UT at 3PM the next day! I really love the quality, and choose their 4×4 full bleed size for my Instagram photos.  With all these things and some household tools, I was ready to begin my project…

Sandy a la Mode | DIY Instagram Wall with Washi Tape

Things You Need:
Scissors
Measuring Tape
Level
Pencil
Different kinds of Washi Tape (I used 5 different ones)
Instagram Prints

Sandy a la Mode | DIY Instagram Wall with Washi Tape

1. Create washi tape borders on each photo

This was probably the most time consuming step, but I basically used the washi tape and created borders around the photo.  I started on one side and just moved my way around clockwise.  I only covered less than half an inch of the photo on each side with the tape.

DIY Instagram Wall Art with Washi Tape

2. Space out the photos on your wall with your level and pencil markings.

I put my first photo down in the bottom left corner and started from there.  I used a level at the very bottom of the washi tape and made pencil marks horizontally along the wall.  This set up my “bottom” line for the photos so I could ensure the bottoms were in a straight line.  For each photo along the bottom line, I spaced them out to be about 1″ apart, so did one photo at a time and made the 1″ mark after each photo.  And then I started with the going up vertically photo by photo and measuring the 1″ apart going up.  Once I was done, I was able to use the level vertically and make marks going up the wall which could help guide me in the photos.

One thing I had to be aware of when putting up the photos is to make sure that I didn’t use the same washi tape design next to each other.  I used 5 different kinds so it wasn’t too hard to do, but it was just something to be aware of.

DIY Instagram Wall Art with Washi Tape

3. Erase pencil markings.

Once you finish your project, don’t forget to erase those pencil markings!

Sandy a la Mode | DIY Instagram Wall with Washi Tape

After I put the prints up, I set up the “sitting area” with a pretty Urban Outfitters colorful rug, 2 Chelsea chairs from Laura Davidson, and an Ikea side table with books on top.  I think of this space as a “story time” space or just for sitting and watching the kids play.  If you haven’t checked out Laura Davidson before, they have tons of great chairs that could be used for your office, living room, dining table, kid’s play room, etc. for really really, I mean really great prices.

DIY Instagram Wall Art with Washi Tape

I just love how it turned out!!  Austin loves coming to this wall and reminiscing about our lives in Kansas City, “baby Austin”, and just seeing cute pictures of his sister and other family members.  🙂

1. May 3, 2015 / 8:35 pm

I love this so much! Cannot wait to try it in my boys room! Xo!

2. Roxanna
    May 3, 2015 / 9:06 pm

Your IG post made me wonder! Cute project! You’re right…most of my photos is stuck in the digital world. I need to do a better job of printing. Also, I really like the rug!

3. May 4, 2015 / 4:17 am

what a fun space, I love this!

4. jillian
    May 4, 2015 / 6:54 am

this is such a cute idea! i need to print out more photos! xo jillian

5. Trang
    May 4, 2015 / 9:09 am

Did you use your camera phone to take the photos (IG photos)? How’s the photo quality?

6. May 4, 2015 / 11:49 am

This wall is perfection Sandy! Love it 🙂

7. May 5, 2015 / 7:09 am

What a fun, beautiful and colorful DIY with washi tape. The wall looks great and those white chairs with the fun patterned pillows are perfect there. Thanks for sharing. Sandy. =)

8. May 5, 2015 / 3:35 pm

great idea, sandy. i know washi tape has been around for a while, but i have yet to give some projects a try.

9. May 10, 2015 / 7:18 pm

What a fun way to display pictures!

10. May 11, 2015 / 10:10 pm

Such a cute idea…I LOVE it! Thanks so much for linking up with #ShareTheWealthSunday!

xoxo
    Lisa

11. May 12, 2015 / 3:27 pm

I love this so much! I’m literally thinking of where I can do this in my home.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Mommy Monday Blog Hop!
    XOXO

12. May 13, 2015 / 3:08 pm

This is so cute! My daughter is going to love this idea. I bookmarked it to show her later. Thanks for sharing!

I found your post at #SmallVictoriesSundayLinkup !

13. May 14, 2015 / 1:08 pm

Oh this is adorable, it’s a great idea for a kid’s room! There are just too many pictures of friends and family to frame them all. Thanks for sharing with Small Victories Sunday Linkup. Pinning to our linkup board and hope you found some great posts to visit this week!

14. May 14, 2015 / 10:24 pm

Super cute! I too am a renter and have a photo wall, but no washi tape was involved. That definitely spices things up!

15. May 17, 2015 / 1:53 pm

Hi Sandy, I LOVE this so much. What a great idea and it makes the space look beautiful and so warm with all the family photos. I was at Snap too and too bad we didn’t get a chance to meet. Thank you so much for linking up to our Something to Talk About Link Party and I will be featuring this tomorrow at our next Link Party as well as on all Social Media throughout the day. I hope you come on over to check it out and join us again for the party. Have a great Sunday, Lisa at Concord Cottage

16. May 17, 2015 / 2:21 pm

This is such a great idea and I love the washi tape around each picture. Thank you for sharing with Share It One More Time. Cathy

17. May 18, 2015 / 1:58 pm

This looks so great! I love using washi tape to avoid making holes in the walls. There’s such a great variety of tape out there. Thanks for sharing!

18. May 19, 2015 / 3:12 pm

I love this! It would be great in a kid’s room…or even in the Teen Room at the library I work for! Thanks for sharing at the #HomeMattersParty 🙂

19. Faye Thompson
    August 9, 2015 / 3:56 pm

I am so in love with this idea. So easy but a warm and wonderful idea. Easier to dust than framed pictures all over the house.