10 Reasons Why Women Need Girlfriends

Why women need their girlfriends

How to style a turtleneck to be dressy

We’ve all done it before. Once we start up a relationship with a new love, we spend a whole lot of time with them and ditch our girlfriends. But, there’s still nothing like having girlfriends to fill a much needed void, the void of gossiping, someone to lean on, someone to vent to when you and your love are in a fight. And of course many of us go through breakups and heart break before finding “the one”, and that’s where girlfriends are especially important, in those rough times in your life. After all, girlfriends are the family that we choose for ourselves, the ones that bring you up when you are down, the ones that you can spend hours trying on clothes with at the mall.

Growing up, I always had a good group of girlfriends. I have a close group of high school girlfriends, a couple close groups of college girlfriends, a few groups of work girlfriends, a few groups of blogger girlfriends, and a few groups of mama girlfriends. All of these groups of friends are great for different reasons! Below are 10 reasons why women need girlfriends.

Dressing up a turtleneck Polka dot skirt My Sister's Closet Boutique skirt and shoes Why women need girlfriends Winter outfit Skirt and boots style Chanel bag Side braid hairstyle

Outfit Details:

Top: Drifter
Skirt c/o My Sister’s Closet Boutique
Boots c/o My Sister’s Closet Boutique
Bag: Chanel
Bracelet: Pink Peonies Collection

Hair styled by Tanglez Hair and Makeup

Shop my look:

10 reasons why women need girlfriends Girl power  Women and their girlfriends

Featured here are my girlfriends Canary Jane and Eloise and Me

Photos by Lisa Miller Photo

1. Shopping partner

I don’t know about you, but shopping with my husband… is like pulling my hair out one by one. Well maybe that’s what it feels like for him. I like to take my time, search the store, try things on, my husband wants me to get what I need and get out of there. That’s no fun, that’s why girlfriends. It’s way more fun going next to your friend in the dressing room, trying on a bunch of clothes and giving each other your opinions to buy or not buy. I totally also do this with online purchases, once I receive them, I text a picture to some friends and they’ll let me know if I should keep or return the item! It’s great!

2. Late night texting buddy

Once my husband has gone to bed… I text my friends, and we have long chats. Well, who am I kidding, I text with my girlfriends when I wake up, lunch, after work…

3. A shoulder to cry on

Well since you probably spend the most time with your family, you probably get into the most fights or have the most stress over family matters. Kids throwing tantrums, husband complaining about this or that… that you need a girl friend’s shoulder to cry on. I love that I have so many friends that I could just call and cry to if needed.

4. Venting

Similar to the one above, I fully believe that venting is a great way to release energy and calm yourself. When I get really worked up about something, venting to my girl friends and getting their perspective always helps!

5. Girl’s trips

Girl’s trips for me are far and few between. I usually go on them with my college friends or high school friends and we always pick up where we last left off. The conversations are great, they are deep, we cry, we laugh, we eat, we shop. These trips are just great for the soul.

6. Feminine stuff

There’s just certain things about the female anatomy or the female brain or female emotion that boys will just not get. That’s why you need your girlfriends there. Cramps, PMS, your period, Aunt flow, childbirth… they won’t get it.

7. Borrowing clothes

Just ask my college friends, they borrowed clothes from me all the time. Mostly for going out to clubs.. and parties, HA! And yes, I had THAT many clothes back then as I do now!  :/

8. Bridesmaids

If you get married, you will probably want some Bridesmaids to stand by you, bring you water, pin up your dress, cut off the bottom of your dress (yes, this happened to me), say a few words about you and party with you.

9. Spa day

Spas, pedictures, manicures, massages, these things are always more fun with girlfriends.

10. They get you

This really just sums it all up. For me, my girlfriends are the ones I can lean on to chat about anything and everything. We all have our struggles and our successes, and they get me, because they go through many of the same things.

Reasons-Why-Women-Need-Girlfriends

Would love to hear your thoughts! Why do you need girlfriends? What are your favorite activities to do with them?

1. February 11, 2016 / 9:48 am

Aww! This is such a cute list and so true! My circle of girlfriends has definitely changed since high school, but I treasure the friendships I have now!

2. February 11, 2016 / 11:29 am

Great list, love it! I entirely agree and totally need *local* girlfriends. All of mine had upped and moved out of the city, so need to find some awesome gals to have fun shopping with. You’re right, husbands are absolutely not quality shopping partners.

3. February 11, 2016 / 12:27 pm

I love this blog post! I 100% agree! I love my late night texts with my gfs when the bf is already asleep! 😛

4. February 11, 2016 / 2:48 pm

Love the outfit! And you’re right, nothing takes the place of your best gal pals 😀

5. February 11, 2016 / 3:15 pm

Your boots and the hair are my favorites! Love your reasons! I value my close female friends and am grateful for them. I love that we talk daily.

6. February 11, 2016 / 3:49 pm

This post is SO true!! I feel like it’s extra hard to make good girl friends as an adult…but it’s SO important! Husbands can only take so much girl talk/shopping haha!
    Love your blog!

xoxo
    Lauren
    @dressingdallas

7. February 11, 2016 / 6:54 pm

I love this post and those reasons are all legit!! It is so important to have a great girl friend that you can do all those things with!

8. Kendra
    February 12, 2016 / 12:15 pm

I have a great group of girlfriends who I have known since elementary school!

9. February 12, 2016 / 4:58 pm

Ahhhhhh… I miss having girlfriends close! I had several little groups of girlfriends when I lived out of state on my own, but we have lost touch since I moved back home a few years ago. :/

10. February 14, 2016 / 10:54 pm

YES! I so love my girlfriends… and especially love them when they’re as fashionable as yours!

xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

11. February 15, 2016 / 6:30 pm

Sandy, I LOVE this post! Each of these reasons are so true. Girlfriends are necessary to living life to the fullest:) And I love that the come from all different parts of your life- they reflect all the different aspects of your personality:)
    Emily
    Darling, Dearest

12. February 16, 2016 / 1:06 pm

What a lovely post! I ve got that skirt in black. I love tulle.

13. February 16, 2016 / 1:08 pm

This is a brilliant post! I LIVE for my girlfriends and can’t even imagine life without them. This is why women need to support each other and build each other up instead of tearing each other down.

Thank you so much for joining #reasonstodress fashion linkup! Cheers, Angie from reasons to dress {fashion + real life in Italy}

14. February 17, 2016 / 5:08 pm

Your hair is so pretty, I love how you did it!

15. February 18, 2016 / 8:45 am

super cute post! love your outfit and it’s so true that women need girlfriends. There’s just something unique about connecting with other women about your problems, thoughts, humor. It’s special 🙂 Thanks for this post!

stop by and chat ♥ http://storybookapothecary.com

16. February 19, 2016 / 9:27 pm

These photos are fantastic! So well done! I too have always had a good group of female friends! I love it!

Nina
    aworldofdresses.com

17. February 20, 2016 / 4:19 pm

Such a great and honest post Sandy! If I was in your town I feel like we (along with Vivian and Kate) can totally be great gal buds. Hope you can stop by my Weekend Wear Fridays linkup and share your style and stories.

xo Sheree
    IG: @poshclassymom

18. February 21, 2016 / 3:13 pm

This is a very true and accurate list 🙂 Shopping with my husband is no fun at all! lol Hope you are having an amazing weekend and enjoying some girl time!

19. February 23, 2016 / 9:28 am

Your outfit is absolutely darling! I adore that skirt! And I love the message of this post. Having supportive girlfriends is so important and I’m happy to see that we’re becoming an even stronger community! Great post hun!

Xo,