Australia Trip With Kids | Travel Tips and Must See Places

It is literally still so surreal to me that just about a month ago, we traveled around Australia for 10 days with 2 kids. We went on 8 airplane rides, visited 4 cities, and I’m actually so surprised at how well the kids did on the trip! If anything, they surely came away with a more worldly view and adaptability, which is something I so desperately want them to have the experience of and is something you can’t learn in the classroom. Our kids were ages 4 and 6 when we went on this trip and now I pretty much want to take them on an international trip every year! I was pretty nervous about that 15 hour flight from Los Angeles to Sydney, but with the help of some TV screens, meals and it being the kids bedtimes, we survived!

When we first arrived in Sydney, we met up with our tour group and our first stop was the Sydney Opera House! We got a 1 hour tour of it, got to sit in on a practice ballet session, learned about the history of it and of course took some pictures with it. The great thing about the tours with Book your Bucket List is that usually the morning/afternoon have activities, but evenings are on your own. So if there is a mall you want to shop at or a restaurant you want to try or a friend you want to meet up, you have the freedom to do that.

The next day we took a ferry to go to Taronga Zoo, this is a great place to see animals that are unique to Australia, especially a koala! However, in Sydney, you are not allowed to touch or hold koalas,however you can read on to see where we did get to hold them. This zoo is huge and has a ton of animals to see and the kids really enjoyed it.  After that, went to check out the Rocks Market, which was a great place to pick up some souvenirs.

That evening, in downtown Sydney, they were lighting up their big Christmas tree and having a big Christmas party, which was so fun to see! That night we decided to check out the Sydney Tower Eye which is an elevator ride up to a really tall point on top of a mall where you could see the whole city! The kids loved it and there was even a free Santa visit up there too. But if you have a chance to go, there is a TON of shopping there and one of my favorite restaurants ever, Din Tai Fun is in that Westfield Sydney mall that the Sydney Tower Eye is in.  There is also a Chatime there if you need a bubble tea fix, just saying. 😉

Another thing that we didn’t end up doing is climbing the Harbor Bridge, as we decided not to go because we wanted to spend more time doing other things, but Book your Bucket List was totally flexible with that and able to accommodate if you wanted to opt out of any activities. All in all, Sydney feels like a mix of Hong Kong and San Francisco to me and it just made me happy to be in the city! It’s nice to have so many little restaurants, coffee shops, upscale shops and sights all within a close vicinity. But, before we knew it, we were off to our next destination, Brisbane!

One of the most popular spots that you hear about a lot is the Gold Coast, and to be able to say that we stepped foot on it and enjoyed some beach time, was pretty fabulous! The kids thoroughly enjoyed the beach, picking seashells and the nice weather!

Out sightseeing day in Brisbane was a bit of walking, but our Baby Jogger City Tour Stroller saved us (or at least Vivian)! Side note, this is one of our favorite travel strollers because it folds up into a backpack and can be a carry on too! From South Bank to West End, Brisbane has a lot of culture and history and is really just a quaint little place. We ended up at GoMA museum, which is a fun interactive museum just for kids, but adults can have fun too! Our hotel was right in the heart of Brisbane and I have to say it was probably my favorite! We were walking distance to Queen Street Mall which has lots of restaurants and shops that I wish I could have spent more time in, to be honest!

But perhaps one of the coolest experiences was visiting the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. Going in November, and almost hitting their Summer weather, I remember this day being rather warm, maybe like 90 degrees F. Here, you are able to pet and HOLD koalas as well as feed kangaroos, so this was all sorts of amazing. It’s always kind of been on my own bucket list to do this, so I’m glad we got it checked off. I don’t think the kids fully understand the amazingness of this or how koalas are only in Australia, but they will understand it one day!

And then last but not least, we headed on an adventure from Brisbane to Rockhampton and then a ferry to Great Keppel Island. The weather was nearing 105 degrees F which was hot, but we survived ha! Great Keppel Island is legit an island and we got to go snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef. The waters were blue and beautiful and I have to say that it was kind of nice to be in warm weather when we knew that at home it was snowing… :/ We got to stay in a little house together and the kids loved the bunk beds there. But really, they were all about picking the seashells!

Also, below are some of our must have travel products with kids!

1. July 10, 2019 / 12:31 am

Long time reader, a first-time commenter here. Glad to hear you had such a great time in Hawaii, PoF! I had the privilege of three trips there during medical school, as my best friend was stationed with the Army on Oahu. Used it as an excuse to travel there with free lodging! I hope to go several times more after residency is done.

2. luxury hotels
    July 12, 2019 / 6:12 am

Haha, thanks for putting it together! I have traveled Australia myself (only lasted a year though, my wife couldn’t bear to be away from the luxury hotelsand our adult kids for much longer) and I always loved meeting people who were doing the same thing. It is such a shame that I never thought to blog about my experiences at the time.

3. July 13, 2019 / 10:38 am

4. July 17, 2019 / 8:25 pm

I love running to explore a new city. My husband and I had great adventures in Europe simply by taking off and running. I’ve run through Paris, Amsterdam, and Florence, and seen many things that tourists don’t usually get to see. Thanks for a great trip.

5. Honolulu photographers
    July 19, 2019 / 8:53 am

Professional Honolulu photographers since 2004. Specializing in family photography, wedding photography, senior portrait photography, couples photography, engagement photography, fashion photography. Our friendly award-winning Honolulu photographers have been published in magazines around the world and have hundreds of Google five star reviews. Our Honolulu photography packages are the most affordable in Honolulu, so book a morning or sunset photoshoot today with 808 Pictures.Honolulu photographers

6. July 22, 2019 / 5:51 am

Hello, I really want to travel to Australia. I always loved meeting people who were doing the same thing. It is such a shame that I never thought to blog about my experiences at the time.

7. July 23, 2019 / 10:59 am

Hello, Haha, thanks for putting it together! I have traveled Australia myself (only lasted a year though, my wife couldn’t bear to be away from the luxury hotel and our adult kids for much longer) and I always loved meeting people who were doing the same thing. It is such a shame that I never thought to blog about my experiences at the time.

8. AirBNB Code
    July 27, 2019 / 8:51 am

Hello, It’s constantly pleasant when you read something that is instructive as well as engaging. I will bookmark it. I have been scanning for data about this topic for a considerable length of time and yours is the best I have found. I truly making the most of your site post.AirBNB Code

9. tuky
    August 3, 2019 / 11:13 pm

You take such amazingly beautiful pictures. I hope that one day I can make it to the West Coast and also tour Victoria, BC. It would be a wonderful trip and memorable adventure to me as I am originally from the states and have live in Five star Ontario for just 13 yrs now. My husband is Canadian. I love to travel and see new sites and this is one of my places I’d love to visit. I have gotten to a few spots here in Ontario but would love to go on a longer adventure even by train would be amazing. Coming by train would be interesting.

10. Harry
    August 5, 2019 / 4:12 am

trips</a

11. August 5, 2019 / 4:14 am

Hello, You take such amazingly beautiful pictures. I hope that one day I can make it to the West Coast and also tour Victoria, BC. It would be a wonderful trip and memorable adventure to me as I am originally from the states and have life in Ontario for just 13 yrs now. My husband is Canadian. I love to travel and see new sites and this is one of my places I’d love to visit. I have gotten to a few spots here in Ontario but would love to go on a longer adventure even by train would be amazing. Coming by train would be interesting.

12. ESTA Application
    August 28, 2019 / 4:29 am

Travel is a wonderful hobby of many people and it can bring a positive change in the thinking. Going to the different places of the world and stay in different hotels is the best way to know about the new thing in the world. Thanks for the great info. These tips are really helpful for me

13. August 28, 2019 / 4:30 am

14. August 28, 2019 / 7:34 pm

Amazing photo shot with great high pixels camera. Australia is really one of the best places for travel.

15. September 13, 2019 / 5:54 am

Great tips! For the past 2 weeks we’ve been traveling to see family and then to a marathon. I always like to walk or run in new/old places because I think you can see more than if you were in a car.

16. Tunis Tech
    November 15, 2019 / 11:32 am

We one of the best international and British schools in the country. All our students pass very well in the IGCSE exam.
    international schools in Nigeria

17. Fredi
    November 15, 2019 / 11:35 am

It might be very difficult to to know the balance of call and data on internet service provider Vodafone Balance

18. December 6, 2019 / 4:21 am

Australia is an exciting and wonderful country in the world, with many places and attractions, if you intend to travel to Australia in the summer for tourism and have fun, here are the best places to visit in Australia in the summer.Australia Tourism

19. December 20, 2019 / 3:54 am

معلومات عن جورجيا

20. lisa
    September 29, 2020 / 8:44 am

It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors.Phuket and Krabi Tour Package

21. lisa
    September 29, 2020 / 9:02 am

I’d love to travel to each of these places, not just in winter, but anytime! This winter though, I’ve already booked a short trip to Chiang Mai, Thailand. I wanted to plan a hot weather getaway.Thailand Trip Package

22. lisa
    October 6, 2020 / 8:04 am

Your blog site is so superb. How fortunate to see everything you have created. Hope you proceed to do the job tough. I wish you possess a good health and well being.Belize real estate

23. lisa
    October 9, 2020 / 11:21 am

I am searching on google for packing info and tips but i found your blog. I get the really very helpful packing tips. It’s a very easy packing to use your tricks. Really i am happy with your info. Great blog.Viaggio Baja California

24. lisa
    October 22, 2020 / 3:34 am

These are really useful tips. You don’t have to be rich or drop everything else in your life to be able to travel and this is definitely the proof of that.Sonesta Atlanta Northwest Galleria

25. lisa
    November 10, 2020 / 12:59 am

You made such an interesting piece to read, giving every subject enlightenment for us to gain knowledge. Thanks for sharing the such information with us to read this.ที่เที่ยวพังงา

26. lisa
    November 24, 2020 / 11:06 am

I like the idea of less waste in general, but am terrible about it when I travel. This is a good reminder that if it matters, then it matters every time.Catamaran Punta Cana

27. lisa
    November 24, 2020 / 11:45 pm

I too would love to explore an organic farm, take cooking classes, walk on beautiful sunny hikes, enjoy delicious food and bask in the sun. I cannot wait for summer vacation to start already.Christian Tour Guides

28. lisa
    November 27, 2020 / 12:18 am

Plan your trips so that you are either earning loyalty points or redeeming them. I also like stacking. I usually book my travel through a portal like Swagbucks that offers rebates.travel

29. November 29, 2020 / 9:58 pm

Rise before sunrise to have the best attractions all to yourself while avoiding large tourist crowds. Many thanks for tips!

30. lisa
    December 2, 2020 / 9:34 am

This seems like such a stunning trip! I too would love to explore an organic farm, take cooking classes, walk on beautiful sunny hikes, enjoy delicious food and bask in the sun. I cannot wait for summer vacation to start already.ร้านอาหารเขาหลัก

31. December 2, 2020 / 1:20 pm

Amazing pictures with great beautiful historic place in sydney . Australia is really one of the best places for travel.I enjoyed here alot.. and i will come again

32. December 2, 2020 / 3:00 pm

lOVE TO TRAVEL IN SYDNEY OITS SUCH A NICE CITY AND MY DREAM IS WANA WILL COME HERE ONEDAY IN MY LIFE 🙂

33. lisa
    December 3, 2020 / 10:16 pm

I will bookmark it. I have been scanning for data about this topic for a considerable length of time and yours is the best I have found. I truly making the most of your site post. For amazing and affordable Maldives tour package visit here.

34. December 22, 2020 / 10:14 am

I really want to travel to Australia. I always loved meeting people who were doing the same thing. 🙂

35. December 22, 2020 / 11:34 am

Travel is a wonderful hobby of many people and it can bring a positive change in the thinking. Going to the different places of the world and stay in different hotels is the best way to know about the new thing in the world. Thanks for the great info. Venice Breeze Suites

36. December 22, 2020 / 11:34 am

Travel is a wonderful hobby of many people and Going to the different places of the world and stay in different hotels is the best way to know about the new thing in the world.Venice Breeze Suites

37. December 23, 2020 / 10:29 am

This zoo is huge and has a ton of animals to see and the kids really enjoyed it. After that, went to check out the Rocks Market, which was a great place to pick up some souvenirs. i love sydney and australia 🙂 Historic Hotels

38. lisa
    December 28, 2020 / 10:50 pm

I’d love to travel to each of these places, not just in winter, but anytime! This winter though, I’ve already booked a short trip to Chiang Mai, Thailand. I wanted to plan a hot weather getaway.tour in Sri Lanka

39. December 30, 2020 / 12:11 pm

Another thing that we didn’t end up doing is climbing the Harbor Bridge, as we decided not to go because we wanted to spend more time doing other things, but Book your Bucket List was totally flexible with that and able to accommodate if you wanted to opt out of any activities. Amazing Blog I love Sydney .. Rizzo Conference Center

40. lisa
    January 4, 2021 / 5:51 am

Some people find it handy but I don’t. You know, I like to stick to places where I stay. And by the way, I like resorts. there you can see a live view from Tenerife, Spain. Yeah, this is my next destinationNusa Penida Trips

41. lisa
    January 16, 2021 / 10:41 pm

Whether it is about a flight or hotel, about sightseeing or food, about packing tips or travel insurance holidaydigg.com is here to guide you to the best tips for holiday travel and vacations. We provide you information on vacation rentals, travel insurance, holiday package, airline or train tickets, cruises, car rentals, restaurants, tourist activities and so on.

42. lisa
    January 30, 2021 / 12:02 am

Hi, I too would love to explore an organic farm, take cooking classes, walk on beautiful sunny hikes, enjoy delicious food and bask in the sun. I cannot wait for summer vacation to start already.villas in Turks and Caicos

43. lisa
    February 5, 2021 / 11:47 am

Awesome trip! Road trips are the best, but you often are way more tired when you return. I remember doing a very similar route when I was a kid… so much fun!!! Love that you finally got the Joy the Baker book.
    half day tours in israel

44. lisa
    February 6, 2021 / 12:16 am

Hi I found your site by mistake when i was searching yahoo for this acne issue, I must say your site is really helpful I also love the design, its amazing!. I don’t have the time at the moment to fully read your site but I have bookmarked it and also add your RSS feeds. I will be back in a day or two. thanks for a great site.Viaje Baja California

45. lisa
    February 17, 2021 / 2:25 am

46. lisa
    February 17, 2021 / 2:27 am

Hi, Combining all of these tips will allow you to knock a bunch of tasks out of the way before you reach your destination. This will save you precious hours that are better spent enjoying your trip.cenotes en la riviera maya

47. lisa
    March 26, 2021 / 12:23 am

Hi, My name is Slava, I provide the most unique GUIDED TOURS IN ISRAEL focused on your needs with a luxury car for individuals and families, join me for an unforgettable experience! Whether a family trip, business travel or a Bar Mitzvah celebration, I will provide you a lifetime experience, allow me to plan your journey and take care of all the arrangements in Israel, please contact me about different activities in Israel, jeep tours, museums, attractions for kids, Bar Mitzvah ceremony and private tours.

48. lisa
    April 24, 2021 / 6:45 am

Whenever I travel, I always do research about the place I’m going to. I plan everything and book everything ahead of time. Shoulder season sounds a good idea! I can’t wait to travel again!coach hire Finland

49. lisa
    May 2, 2021 / 5:20 am

Hi,
    You and Brian have made such a beautiful life together, babe. We’re so proud of all the to of you have accomplished. Blog on. Maybe one day you can give yo Momma some blogging tips!!คาเฟ่ภูเก็ต

50. lisa
    May 7, 2021 / 5:14 am

Whenever I travel, I always do research about the place I’m going to. I plan everything and book everything ahead of time. Shoulder season sounds a good idea! I can’t wait to travel again!tuscany

51. lisa
    May 23, 2021 / 1:08 pm

I love these tips and I have an awesome idea for you!! Maybe you could create branded items such as water bottles and cloth bags on RedBubble that say “zero waste while travelling” or a similar catchy slogan so you can inspire other travellers to follow in your footsteps? Such a worthy cause.best machu picchu tours

52. May 23, 2021 / 1:41 pm

Shutter windows

Less energy consumption, more tranquility, solutions that enrich the lifestyle and raise your lifestyle in your modern and smart home to its maximum limits … Whatever your choice of window shutters

Made of the finest types of aluminum and available in a variety of colors, your home will have many features at different times, especially in light of the weather fluctuations that characterize the Gulf,

And the waves of storms and dust that ravage both cities and the countryside.

Privacy is its maximum
    For more privacy, you can easily define how much can be seen from the outside, just open and close your shutters’ windows as much as you want at any time, whether you are

You want to open it, close it completely, or leave it somewhere in between. And if you use our automation solutions and electronic systems, you will be able to do so without even being present at

Home.

Sun protection
    The sun’s rays have many benefits, disadvantages and dangers at the same time, especially in climates like the Gulf. You can protect your family from these health hazards by opening and closing curtains

Shutters with complete flexibility according to the sun’s height in the sky, this will also enable you to keep your home furniture, bedding, and even decorations and paints away from the effects of ultraviolet rays

53. lisa
    June 4, 2021 / 2:16 pm

Whenever I travel, I always do research about the place I’m going to. I plan everything and book everything ahead of time. Shoulder season sounds a good idea! I can’t wait to travel again!Jeep rentals OBX

54. lisa
    June 6, 2021 / 8:01 am

Whenever I travel, I always do research about the place I’m going to. I plan everything and book everything ahead of time. Shoulder season sounds a good idea! I can’t wait to travel again!up start travel

55. lisa
    June 6, 2021 / 12:04 pm

Luxury Travel offers the best of the best: intimate experiences, personalized services, gourmet meals, and beautiful surroundings that together promise a maximum of pleasure and a minimum of stress.the meyum