Dear Puff Pastry

I just wanted to take this time to thank you for being such an important part of my life.  Your layers of repeated dough and butter create a texture that is so light, crispy, flaky and heavenly.  You’ve warmly made your appearance at so many dinner parties and pot lucks and have made guests very happy.  Here are two of my favorite recipes to make with you as the shell.

Curry Puffs

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon oil
  • 2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
  • ½ cup onions, finely chopped
  • 1 lb ground pork/beef/chicken
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2-3 teaspoons Curry powder
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 1 package puff pastry
  • 1 egg yolk

Directions:

1. Defrost phyllo sheets 40 -45 minutes in room temperature or 4 hours in refrigerator before using. Preheat oven to 375F.
    2. Heat oil in frying pan, add in onion and garlic, cooking over low medium heat until golden.
    3. Raise heat to medium high and add in ground meat, stir frying until it changes color.
    4. Add oyster sauce, black pepper, stir & cover, reducing to low heat for 5 minutes.
    5. Add sugar and curry powder.
    6. Remove from heat & allow to completely cool (about 20 minutes at least).
    7. Lay out puff pastry sheets, cut into 9 squares, place filling in the middle.
    8. Fold into triangle (or desired shape), seal edges and press down edges with fork.
    9. Brush with egg wash (one egg yolk).
    10. Bake in oven at 375F for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
    11. Serve with chopped cilantro sprinkled on top (optional).

Beef and Sweet Potato Turnovers

Ingredients:

• 1 teaspoon oil
  • ½ lb. ground beef
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 cup sweet potato, grated
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 package puff pastry

Directions:

2. Heat oil in frying pan, add in garlic and beef
    3. When beef is browned, add in sweet potato and spinach.
    4. Remove from heat.
    5. Lay out puff pastry sheets, cut into 9 squares, place filling in the middle.
    6. Fold into rectangles (or desired shape) and seal edges.
    7. Bake in oven at 375F for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

I’m looking forward to spending the rest of my life discovering even more savory, sweet, and salty recipes with you.  And I happily know that each time, you will work your magic for me.  Again, thanks!

Sincerely,

1. Lai
    February 17, 2010 / 8:53 am

Thank you so much for posting the recipe for the curry puff Sandy! My mom would love to read it and try it out!

2. Roanna
    February 17, 2010 / 9:05 am

Yum, both look amazing… curry puffs are one of my favorite foods!! I am going to try making them this weekend.. thanks for the recipe!!

3. February 17, 2010 / 12:55 pm

i love puff pastries! =) these look so delicious!

4. February 17, 2010 / 1:04 pm

Both of these look and sound incredible! Yum. Just found you at This Lovely City, and I’m so glad I did!

5. February 17, 2010 / 2:11 pm

yum! i’m salivating over those curry puffs!

6. February 17, 2010 / 2:29 pm

Oh em gee, puff pastry is one of my most favorite things in the world. I hardly ever bake, but I am SO going to make these as they have me practically drooling on my keyboard. Thanks for sharing!! 🙂

7. February 17, 2010 / 2:31 pm

Um, looks like I got too excited to even type my full name out on my previous comment. haha.

• February 17, 2010 / 2:45 pm

@Adrienne Hahaha too funny Adr! =P You should definitely make these sometime. They are super easy to make and soo delicious!

8. February 17, 2010 / 5:11 pm

oo! these look awesome!

9. February 17, 2010 / 11:29 pm

thanks for commenting on my blog! You should definitely get a tripod and remote and do self portraits. I’m becoming quite a narcissus now that I now how to take my own self portraits now 🙂 Your blog is super cute! I can’t wait to try some of your recipes! My personal blog is http://lynnlostinlove.blogspot.com happy blogging!

10. February 18, 2010 / 5:36 am

oh holy puff pastry goodness. I go weak in the knees for a good puff pastry. Great post!

let’s hope we can meet over some note-worthy puff pastries soon! xoxo!!

11. Theresa
    February 21, 2010 / 12:06 pm

I just used the curry puff pastry recipe – so DELISH and easy!! Thanks for posting that =)

12. tin
    February 22, 2010 / 6:34 pm

that curry puff recipe looks yummy! i think i will def try that sometime! =)