The weather has been quite crazy lately where I live, last Thursday it was 60 degrees and then over the weekend it snowed! 🙁 Hopefully it will be the last snow of the season! Anyhow, I thought it would be great timing to introduce this recipe, perfect for when a cold day sneaks up on you. A few months ago, I had a delicious butternut squash soup at a local restaurant and the flavor was surprisingly sweet! And if you’ve read my blog, you know that I have a major sweet tooth. So I decided to try and make some on my own. My husband is a huge fan of sweet potatoes so we always have those in stock in our house and I figured the texture was pretty similar so I said let’s throw that in too. We also had some red pepper that we bought and didn’t know what we were going to use it for, so I said why not? Bake all of those in the oven, mix them in a pot, throw in some chicken broth and spices, puree it up, throw in spinach ravioli to add some texture and abracadra, bada bing bada boom, you’re done!
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 roasted red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz. can chicken broth
- dash of thyme, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, curry powder, ginger
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- spinach ravioli (optional)
- Cut butternut squash, sweet potatoes, and red pepper in half length-wise and place face down in a baking dish.
- Roast vegetables at 375 degrees F for 35 minutes or until tender.
- In pot, saute the garlic and onion in olive oil.
- Scoop out softened butternut squash, sweet potatoes and chop red peppers and put into the pot.
- Add chicken stock and spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove soup from heat and puree with a hand mixer or in a blender.
- Serve with cooked spinach ravioli.
Mmmm tasty! A hint of spice and a hint of sweet, sure to make your stomach happy! This is a pretty thick soup so it could act as a sauce as well… as in it could be called Spinach Ravioli with Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Sauce. Either way, it’s SOUPER delicious! 🙂