Our Mini Trip To Red Rock Canyon

Hey friends!  How was your Memorial weekend?  For those that got an extra day off, did you enjoy it to it’s fullest?  Did anyone make it out to the beach or pool (lucky ducks)?  I’m so happy that the unofficial start of summer is here… summer is definitely my favorite season as long as the weather doesn’t get too hot and humid.  Marvin and I spent our 3 days weekend going to a grill party with friends, cleaning, grocery shopping, and we watched the good but disturbing Black Swan.  And of course, we definitely took some time to walk around the park and relax as well!

Today, I’m excited to share with you a few photos that I took when we were in Vegas a month ago.  After my friend’s beautiful wedding, we decided to take a mini road trip (only about 35 minutes from the strip) to Red Rock Canyon.  We don’t have anything like it in flat Kansas City.

Into Red Rock Canyon we go!

The rock… is really red!  Haha!

Loving these little flowers in the foreground.

Yay, we got someone to take a picture for us!  You don’t want to see the self portraits, no good.

Yellow flowers always make me smile!

Our car totally got stopped for a good 10 minutes as this helicopter landed right next to us!

I hope they were able to help whoever needed the help!  We didn’t stick around to see what had happened.

Loving the contrast of the white and red rocks.

All I gotta say is OUCH!

And finally linking this photo up to Sweet Shot Tuesdays!
Sweet Shot Day

I love taking little trips like this and discovering nature’s beauty all around us.  I swear it’s time for another mini-trip already!

What’s the last mini trip you took??

1. May 30, 2011 / 4:17 pm

ooh, i LOVE roadtrips! and your last photo is gorgeous!

sent you an email!

2. May 30, 2011 / 4:23 pm

Gorgeous pictures! I haven’t been on a mini trip in a while, but I did go on a road trip with my sister to Nashville/Memphis last month 🙂

3. May 30, 2011 / 4:34 pm

Such beautiful pictures! – The desert really does provide such unique and breath-taking scenery!

Thanks for sharing!

xoxo
    Jenna

4. May 30, 2011 / 5:43 pm

I occasionally make my way up to LA — does that count as a mini trip? I’m so glad you got to explore the area outside of Las Vegas. I’ve heard it’s wonderful and have always wanted to go.

5. May 30, 2011 / 6:06 pm

mini/day trips are the most awesome thing EVAH. glad you took those shots to share with us; you are really great with the camera, my friend!!

6. Chrissy
    May 30, 2011 / 6:09 pm

Wonderful photos! Looks like a wonderful trip!

7. yajaira
    May 30, 2011 / 7:19 pm

great photos

8. May 30, 2011 / 8:11 pm

the canyon looks amazing! ive never been to vegas but its on my list.

9. May 30, 2011 / 9:18 pm

Eeep! I’ve been there, and it’s totally as beautiful as your pictures make it seem. Lovely shots!

10. May 30, 2011 / 9:23 pm

I LOVE your photos! I too visited Red Rock Canyon when I was in Vegas many years ago, but do not remember it looking this beautiful! Thank you for sharing, Sandy!

11. May 30, 2011 / 9:41 pm

oh wow, you got so many gorgeous pictures!! looks like you had so much fun. (and yeah, black swan was really good, but not something i’d want to watch over and over again! too creepy lol)

the last mini vacation i took? …
    hmm. well i did visit my friend in palmdale last week.
    we went to visit the poppy reserve in lancaster but there
    were hardly any poppies out! bummer. we’ll have to try
    again next year.

12. May 30, 2011 / 10:03 pm

Fabulous photos. I love trips like this. Exploring together is one of the major perks of having a hubby.

13. May 30, 2011 / 11:52 pm

Awh I’ve only been out to Red Rock once so it’s nice to see someone elses perspective when they visit! Nice pictures! 🙂

14. May 31, 2011 / 1:18 am

Dearest sweet sandy, beautiful photos and lovely place! I always love going on roadtrips too! This place is just beautiful! Have a lovely merry happy week and love to you!

15. May 31, 2011 / 2:43 am

oh, you are so lucky! Roadtrips are perfect to relax a little bit! I was tripping my last time in March but the next trip is going to be in 10 days!

16. May 31, 2011 / 5:08 am

Whooey! Those are some amazing photos! I only wish we could get there and explore too. Seriously Sandy, these are incredible shots!

17. May 31, 2011 / 9:13 am

Oooh! I love roadtrips! You take such beautiful photos! Love love!! I drove out from Chicago to the suburbs this weekend… ha! Could that be considered a mini roadtrip? We stopped for Taco Bell which I’m pretty sure seals the deal when it comes to roadtrips requirements… right?

18. May 31, 2011 / 9:20 am

So fun, I’ve always wanted to visit there!

19. May 31, 2011 / 12:04 pm

Nice, I love mini trips, we’re hoping to take one soon!

20. May 31, 2011 / 1:13 pm

Looks spectatucular! I would love to go to Vegas someday and visit. I’m sure it was great to get away from the strip for a while 🙂

21. May 31, 2011 / 1:58 pm

what a beautiful trip to red rock! i’ve never stopped by there when we’ve gone to vegas, but i think i must now. it’s such a serene place!

22. May 31, 2011 / 3:52 pm

beautiful photos. hope you had an amazing time. Me and bf are planning a short trip just now, looking at Rome and Milan for a long weekend.

Dena

23. May 31, 2011 / 3:54 pm

Wow, looks like you had a wonderful trip, Vegas is fab! Feel free to pay me a visit and see my vacationshots!xx

24. May 31, 2011 / 4:02 pm

That looks like a really fun trip. The last mini trip I took was to Pittsburgh to visit some family. It was really fun but way too short.

25. May 31, 2011 / 5:23 pm

What amazing pictures. I’d love to go there.

26. May 31, 2011 / 5:24 pm

i’ve never made it to red rock canyon…maybe someday…thanks for sharing the pics!

27. May 31, 2011 / 6:17 pm

love the photos! my favorite is the one of those orange flowers. so glad you had a chance to take a side trip out there~~

28. May 31, 2011 / 6:42 pm

beautiful pictures! I’m glad you were able to take a little trip! I’m hoping to get the hubby away at some point this summer too.

29. May 31, 2011 / 6:56 pm

Wow these photos are fabulous!!! I just love that part of the country. There’s nothing else like it, right? Amazing 🙂

Hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend, sweetie! xoxo

30. May 31, 2011 / 10:13 pm

Such pretty photos! I’ve never made it to that part of the country but I want to go so badly!

31. May 31, 2011 / 11:58 pm

funny, I just posted pics of my recent mini-trip — and, the pics of Arizona (where I went) look a lot like yours too!

32. June 1, 2011 / 12:42 am

Lovely photos! It looks like it was a fun trip! My last trip was to LA and I’m totally wishing to head back. =)

33. June 1, 2011 / 7:10 pm

wow, how gorgeous is that place?! great photos, sandy! i love taking mini-trips.. they’re affordable & you don’t have to take time off work. we plan on taking several this summer 😀

34. June 2, 2011 / 1:29 pm

beautiful pictures of the nature!