This post is sponsored by Carter’s; however, all thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
I get a lot of questions from newly pregnant friends about what items they should be buying for their baby girls. It really can be such a daunting task as a first time parent as there’s just so many different items out there on the market that will “help your baby sleep all night”, or will “soothe a colicky baby”, that it’s just so hard to know what to buy. And because you know that I love baby fashion, I wanted to tackle that aspect of it all for anyone trying to build the perfect baby girl wardrobe!!
Photography by Summer Nicole Photo
So here are my thoughts on the items you should buy and why!
- 7 Bodysuits – Carter’s Original Bodysuit is what your baby will probably wear the most, all day, every day, on it’s own or layered under outfits! You might even be changing them into different ones multiple times a day. They have snaps at the bottom that make diaper changes super easy and you can even pull down from the top! These are such a great staple and well I only said 7 for 1 every day of the week, but it can’t hurt to have more!
- 2 Zip-Up Sleepers – So there are button and zip-up sleepers, and I swear by the zip-up ones, they are WAY easier and faster than buttons, I promise you! With my son, I had a ton of button up ones, but with my daughter (2nd child), I stuck with zippers only and it made late night changes SO much quicker. Because you will be getting up multiple times a night in the beginning…
- 4 Tops – Having a few cute basic tops, a cardigan or two, and even a button down for layering is great for Fall.
- 2 Pairs of Leggings – Leggings are seriously way better than stiff jeans, you could probably own way more than 2, but a pair of denim and grey ones will cover most outfits you are trying to pair with tops!
- 2 Dresses – You might not think that dresses are too practical on young babies, but hey, you’ll need something for that family holiday party or family pictures, so make sure you get 1 or 2.
- A bunch of Socks & Tights – As Fall/Winter approaches, you will likely want to keep your babies feet warm with socks or tights under those dresses or skirts!
- 2 Pairs of Crib Shoes – Having soft shoes for babies that are comfortable and durable is important. Your babe may not be able to walk for awhile, but want their toes warm and shoes really can stylize the outfit a bit!
- 3 Headbands – For little girls, having a few different color or style headbands is always a good idea. Because for the first 6 months (at least), your girl will probably get mistaken for a boy one too many times, so a headband can really help with that issue!
To enter in the Carter’s The Original Bodysuit Giveaway: You just need to post an image of your little one wearing a favorite bodysuit on Instagram & Twitter with the hashtag #originalbodysuitsweepstakes for a chance to win a $100 Carter’s gift card!! The sweepstakes will begin on September 8 at 10am EST and end at midnight (11:59pm EST). 3 winners will be selected, at random, EVERY hour – which means there will be 42 opportunities to win!!
You can shop Carter’s online or find a store near you! Use code CARSEP8 to get 25% off your purchase of $40+!
such a great post, Sandy! and soooooo helpful!!! i loved dressing lilly as a baby!
She’s so precious! Love all her little outfits!
xO – Steph
So precious! I’ll definitely save this post for my future!
Law of Fashion Blog
Such a great break down! Love love love each piece!
This post is so cute, Sandy!
Love her precious outfit! Such a great list!
Oh my gosh this is the cutest!! I love it!
This is such a great post! I am going to share with my pregnant friends!
Perfect checklist and love all of your picks! Can’t wait to share with all of my friends who have little girls. xoxo
She is simply the cutest little model!
OMG. Her little bow. I die.
XO Amanda | http://www.glitterandspice.com
OMG i love this whole outfit!! She’s so sweet!
OMG I love this post!! I’m not a mommy yet ((and won’t be for a while longer)) but I can’t wait for this season in my life! Maybe I should pin this post to refer back to when the time comes!
How 2 Wear It  http://how2wearit.com
My daughter has the same blue skirt! I love the list you made. I often bought too much of one thing and not enough of another when it came to my little girl’s wardrobe during her first few months. Slowly I learned, but I wish I had this list to go by for reference. Thanks so much for sharing it with us on #shinebloghop this week!
OOOh I never really know what to get for a new baby present as you know the mum will already have all the essentials! This is a lovely gift idea though 🙂 x.Baby Gate Reviews
I didn’t know about expiring car seats until a somewhat recent discussion on MoneyNing, after which I realized that the seat I got at a garage sale was not only from an untrusted source, but also going to expire 2 months after my baby was supposed to be born. I knew I had to buy a new one, but the other one I bought wasn’t all for nothing – the place I bought the new one from had a trade-in sale where they accepted old items and gave you a hefty discount on the new item, so I ended up saving quite a bit (also included the baby shower discount for items that people didn’t buy). So it’s still possible to save money on something new if you look around. Also, my convertible seat is good for 8 years, so I will be using it until it expires and then just buy a booster seat For more information visit vakn.com
Thank you so much for the tutorial, they look so beautiful, vintage chic at its best! I think they would be great for a little girl to maybe wear with their bridesmaid outfit? I wonder if anyone has tried this? The photos are gorgeous as well btw – the little baby girl wearing that headband with eyes closed is just the cutest! baby ratings