One Foggy Day

Last weekend, most of the Midwest (Kansas City included) was experiencing some wicked fog.  As my husband and I were coming back from running errands, we passed by our neighborhood park and I thought it would be a great idea to take some pictures of the fog and snow.

I’ve always heard that taking pictures of snow was hard, because your camera will try to underexpose for the brightness, so you need to actually overexpose.  When I tried different exposure settings, I didn’t really see a difference though.  It was hard taking macro pictures of the snow though… in my pictures you can’t see that much snow detail, it’s more just like a big mass of white.  =/  Any tips on taking snow pictures would be appreciated!

And here we go…

Oak Grove Park Lake 1Oak Grove Park Lake 2

Scoping out the foggy premises…

His SnowballHer Snowball

and preparing our snowballs…

His Snowball for FightHer Snow Shot

for the Ultimate Newlywed Snowball Fight!

Picnic TablePicnic Table Close Up

After I won (it may not have looked like it, but trust me, I did), I felt bad so I decided to treat my husband to a nice lunch.

Snowman & DudeSnowman in Tree

And then we bonded over making mini snowmen.  =)

Disclaimer: The above story may have been fictional.

I’ve posted the pictures in thumbnail size this time b/c I’ve added a new Lightbox Plus plugin for WordPress which I think you should check out!  If you click on a picture, you should see an overlay pop-up (with an enlarged image) and you can scroll through the images.  I’ve also included metadata with the picture titles in the overlay!

1. January 23, 2010 / 1:02 am

Oh Sandy, You’ve just made me utterly envious of the snowfall over there! It’s warm here, all year round. Snow would be a nice change..probably bring about some wordly disaster though if it snowed here. hahaha. Looked like a great way to enjoy the snow! next time, make a snow angel!!!

2. January 23, 2010 / 8:15 am

The dual pictures of the both of you holding the snowballs are ADORABLE! Nice shots!!!

3. January 23, 2010 / 9:20 am

the fog pictures are beautiful!!!

4. Kate
    January 23, 2010 / 1:58 pm

Love the fog pictures coz of the nice contrast…and the pic of u in the snow fight looks very romantic/korean drama haha

• January 23, 2010 / 9:06 pm

@Annie Thanks Annie! But it’s actually Oak Grove Park in Gladstone! I do want to go to Loose Park another time and take pictures there too!

5. January 24, 2010 / 7:58 pm

I really dig this post! Great series… It really tells a story. It gives the plot, the characters, and the details! Although, on Marvin’s pic, it would have been better with a little more depth of field. 🙂

6. January 25, 2010 / 11:38 am

You have beautiful pictures! I can’t wait to see what you post next. It’s wonderful to meet another artist.

7. Sheena
    January 25, 2010 / 12:55 pm

I love your mini snowmen pictures!! Soo cute!

8. January 25, 2010 / 8:00 pm

How funny that we have matching snowball photos! I love your beautiful blog Sandy!! XO

9. steph
    January 25, 2010 / 10:44 pm

Love the snowball fight pix 🙂

10. Lai
    January 26, 2010 / 9:09 am

Your snow pictures are pretty! It’s hard to take snow pictures. I wonder how those photographers capture the snow flakes shots. Also Lightbox is so awesome! I used it several times on work projects and my old website. They have new / updated versions coming out periodically, and there’re so many variations of them. Some of them can play movies in the overlay: http://webdeveloper.econsultant.com/css-lightbox-variations/

11. January 26, 2010 / 2:00 pm

Wow!! These photos are soo good!! It looks so beautiful in the snow. Will have to get tips from you bc we’re taking Evan to the snow for the 1st time in a few weeks!