Ladies Night Recap!

How was your weekend?  I hope it was fab!  On Friday, Marvin and I had an awesome date night that consisted of a steak dinner, talk about a juicy Kansas City strip steak, yummy!  The rest of the weekend brought warm weather, we had dim sum with friends, did a little bit of sewing and a whole lot of cleaning.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all that left encouraging comments or tweets about my Ladies Night event.  It was a success and I had so much fun selling there.  It was a pretty low-key event in an upscale environment, which was absolutely perfect for getting my feet wet.  I made a good amount of sales but most importantly I learned a lot from it so I know what works and doesn’t work so I can improve for next time… which happens to be in a few weeks (April 23, 2011 to be exact, but more on that later)!

Here’s the front view of my booth.  I actually split a cozy little space and 6 foot table with the fabulous Jenn Isom, who sells beautiful watercolor cards.  We draped the table with a grey duckcloth and my handmade bunting banner!

And here’s a close up of all my items and how I displayed them!  I used lots of wood, vintage china, and fabric covered canvases.

These really loved the setup of these colorful rings on vintage teacups that were placed on top of doilies.  These really caught people’s attention.

I placed my fabric hairties (which should be up in the shop soon) in a vintage floral candy dish, I thought this was pretty fun!

And I think I already showed you the sneak peek of stamp that my SIL made for me a few posts ago, but I pre-attached all earrings on tags.  As people bought hairpins, I had pre-stamped tags that I brought along and I clipped them on before giving it to them.

I had a colorful picture frame that displayed all my prices and a comment about how I accepted cash and credit cards (Square is AWESOME)!  And these lovely fabric covered canvases with ribbon were made by my husband.  🙂

My signature bows were displayed in a wooden box I picked up at a thrift store.  And here I am… all decked out in one of my hairpins, a Josiah’s Nest necklace and Oh, Sweet Joy custom skirt!

I had a few friends that stopped by which I was really excited about… namely my husband and one of my sponsors, Ashley from Ashley Carter Designs!!

And here’s a little peek at my boothmate, Jenn Isom’s beautiful watercolor cards.  So many fun colors!

And lastly, here’s my dear friend Amy, the one who told me about this event.  She sells her own product line of lotions, deodorant, lip balms, glosses and more over at Pura Vida Nutrition!  Thanks again Amy for letting me have a booth!  🙂

Things that worked:
1) I was actually pretty happy about my booth setup for the amount of space I was allotted.
2) Having a sign with prices was definitely a must, but do make sure to memorize your prices or have a cheat sheet with them written down for you to see. I didn’t have a cheat sheet at first so I kept having to look at my sign to figure out how much to charge people, haha.
3) Having the free Square card reader was SO probably one of the best ideas ever. Lots of people came to the fair with no cash and only plastic. Square was so easy to use and the fees are minimal. The coolest part is that people can sign their signature with their fingers and get a receipt sent to their email. You also immediately get a receipt sent to your email as well! THIS IS A MUST!!!
4) For anyone who purchased hairpins, I clipped them on a pre-stamped tag. I put all items in a clear resealable cello bag that I purchased from Momgen. I also put a business card inside the bag. 🙂

Things I learned (let me know if you have suggestions):
1) I really wanted a good way to track everything that I sold, but unfortunately I didn’t have one. I had a notebook and pen handy and recorded the Quantity, Item, and Price in it. However, for each item I was writing out ” Purple Bow Hairpin”, “Green Polka Dot Bow Hairtie”, “Blue Ring” and that took up a lot of time. Square has a feature where you can take pictures of all items that are purchased but I didn’t really have time to do this either.
2) Craftee Mcgee had an awesome idea to make a sign that says “This item is sold out. Please contact us for a custom order.” so that if you got down to 1 item for any of your items you would save that and put it in pile in front of the sign. That way people could still see what the item is that they missed out on and possibly place an online order with you. Well I sure didn’t sell out of any item, but will keep it in mind. 🙂
3) I am horrible with math. Next time I need to bring a big ole calculator or use the one on my phone. It seriously took me forever and a day to figure out the total cost of items when people bought multiples.
4) When people first approach my booth, I need to come up with some sort of speech or tagline to explain my shop, instead of just saying “Hi, how are you?” and that’s it. I think it’s better to have something prepared like, “This is my handmade accessory shop, with rings, earrings, bow hairties, clips and pins for your hair, etc.”

Well, I think that’s about it for now!  Like I said before, I’m planning on doing the KC Artists Easter Craft Fair on April 23… and I’m so excited because I’ll be splitting a booth with Ashley Carter Designs!  AND I recently just got accepted to the Strawberry Swing Indie Craft Fair on July 10!  WOOHOO!  🙂

For all those who have sold their wares at booths before, I’d love to hear your thoughts on what works for you and any tips you have.  And for those who just like going to fairs, what do you like to see a booth have?

1. April 3, 2011 / 8:09 pm

Aw looks like fun!!! The square thing is so cool!

2. April 3, 2011 / 8:15 pm

Looks like such a fun event! 🙂 You have such cute items, lady!

3. April 3, 2011 / 9:06 pm

Wow nice!! so cute the accessories!

xoxo jenna

4. April 3, 2011 / 9:09 pm

This looks like so much fun, and your stuff is gorgeous! as are you 😀

5. April 3, 2011 / 9:19 pm

Sandy, congrats on one awesome booth! I’m really impressed by all the hard work you put in — it definitely paid off. I’m glad you had such a good time. Keep doing events like these.

6. April 3, 2011 / 9:47 pm

Sandy, looks like you had a great night! Love your displays. Just a suggestion for keeping track of what you sell. Before you go, make a chart with the types of items you sell (hairties, hair bows, rings, etc) as each column. Under the category write the price. Then when you sell something you only have to write down the color & quantity. I’m not sure if it would work for you but, from what you said it seemed like this might work.

7. April 3, 2011 / 9:52 pm

I totally agree about having a “speech” prepared. I learned that at the bridal show that I did. It never even crossed my mind before the show. People would come up and I’d say “how are you?” then they’d look at me like “what do you do?” and I felt like I was scrambling! Glad you had a great experience!!

8. April 3, 2011 / 9:52 pm

you did such a great job! I love all of your ways to show off your cute wares:) the frame with the prices is a great idea and this would cut down on time to tag everything. I tagged everything and now have to detag anything that I didn’t sell at that sale if I sell it on etsy. Did you find that people had a hard time seeing the prices on the frame or no? I also like your display with the tea cup-really cute!

:)gina

9. April 3, 2011 / 9:55 pm

I am SO happy and excited for you – your booth looks truly terrific! I used to work at a fashion show room, and when we would host/go to markets, one of the things we did to keep track of orders is already have a printed out chart of the stock.. then you can just quickly mark a box, or keep a tally, or something like that next to the item. It’s a little bit of work before you go, but saves you SO much time while you’re selling.

Again, congrats! You are awesome.

10. April 3, 2011 / 9:57 pm

Woman!!! Your display is just gorgeous!!! I love love love your designs! The fabrics and colors… so beautiful!! Can’t wait to order one… or two or three!

11. April 3, 2011 / 9:58 pm

your booth looks incredible!!! its so inspiring – and the tips are def what i need for this weekend. i willd def. have my little speech ready 😉 you let me know how i do!

gaaaaah, see you so freakin’ soon!!!!

12. April 3, 2011 / 10:17 pm

your booth looks fantastic! i’m glad it was a successful night & that you had fun & learned things. 🙂 have fun getting ready for your upcoming shows. they’re one of my favorite ways to sell- so much fun! thanks for the little shout out! see you thursday!!

13. April 3, 2011 / 10:29 pm

i love the way your showcased your items, especially the wooden box for the bows. i also enjoyed your reflectiveness on what worked and things learned.

14. April 3, 2011 / 10:51 pm

Congrats on your first booth. Your display is beautiful. You’re just gonna rock out your next events now that you’ve got this under yOur belt. I’ve been looking in to foursquare for when I’m doing in person ordering with my photography clients and you’ve sold me on it! Anyways I’m so proud of you girl!!

15. April 4, 2011 / 2:13 am

Yay! Sounds like it was a great success. You work so hard you deserve every ounce of it. Congrats!

16. April 4, 2011 / 2:31 am

This looks awesome! Well done on your first booth. I do think you did a wonderful job. I like the way you displayed it all. Very creative.

Plus your skirt! Can’t wait until I get mine 🙂

I really love your hair bows!! x

17. April 4, 2011 / 6:36 am

It sounds like you did fairly well for your first time! And I love your little booth setup. Now you have me curious about Square. That’s an awesome thing to have handy at an event like this 🙂

18. April 4, 2011 / 7:23 am

this event looks like it was a great success!! and great tips for next time too. i had no idea things like Square existed!

cute & little

19. April 4, 2011 / 8:03 am

Looks like you did a fabulous job, Sandy! Starring this post so I can use it as a reference; I’m doing my first craft show in October {2 weeks after getting married – yikes!}, and I’m pretty nervous since I’ve never done anything like that before…thanks for sharing your insight!

20. Roxanna
    April 4, 2011 / 8:06 am

Very cute! Is that a type set tray from a letterpress shop? Where did you get it? I’ve been wanting one for awhile!

21. April 4, 2011 / 8:19 am

I love your display!! Thanks for sharing your insights – glad it went well 😉

22. April 4, 2011 / 8:26 am

Sandy, you are so impressive. Your booth looked great! Thanks for sharing all your learning tips with us.

23. April 4, 2011 / 8:39 am

so glad it went well! you looked adorable by-the-way! Thanks also for the info, I’m gonna hopefully have a craft booth at a show in July and the info is great!

24. April 4, 2011 / 8:41 am

What a darling booth. LOVE the bunting!

25. April 4, 2011 / 8:55 am

I LOVE these photos!!!

I am considering participating in a little flea market next month and these photos are fabulous inspiration for how to present my jewels 🙂 Thanks!

26. April 4, 2011 / 9:05 am

Your display looks beautiful, Sandy – congrats! I had the same problem with writing down purchases at my first fair in the fall – I have another one coming up next month and think I’m going to try the chart idea. Square sounds really good; I’m off to check it out now!

27. April 4, 2011 / 9:06 am

I love the way you set up your booth!!
    I totally agree with you about the calculator!! I always seem to forget one and I end up having to do the math in my head and I am reallllllly bad at math!!
    Also it is really hard to come up with an opening line when someone approaches my booth. I have tried just saying good morning- and then there is this really awkward silence. I have tried the Hello and welcome to moonbeamwishes, for all your paper magic and stationary needs. When you have a long speech for each person, it just seems to drive them away.
    The last fair I did it was lightly raining all day. SO whenever someone came up to the booth I would say hello and comment on the weather or say how odd it was seeing how yesterday it was in the 80s.
    I would comment on their outfits or just chat with someone – small talk. That really seemed to work.
    I love the set up you did on your booth and I loved the idea about how this is the last item- you can order more online!!
    Have a wonderful day Sandy and good luck on your next fair!! 🙂

28. April 4, 2011 / 9:10 am

Thanks for the tips! Great thoughts! I am nervous about stepping out and it’s nice to hear things from others =)

29. April 4, 2011 / 9:23 am

your booth looks INCREDIBLE! it’s all so personalized and your brand really shines amongst all of those beautiful little touches and displays. so glad you had fun!

30. April 4, 2011 / 9:40 am

you were SO great! I loved the set up of your booth! Can’t wait to brainstorm with you some more on our next craft fair!! I am SO excited to be doing it with you 🙂

31. April 4, 2011 / 9:43 am

I so wish I could have been there, I would have bought a ton of stuff from you!

32. April 4, 2011 / 10:45 am

Congrats. Looked fabulous & keep up the good work.

33. April 4, 2011 / 10:53 am

What an adorable display, Sandy! Looks like you had a blast, and you looked sooooo cute with your handmade outfit 😉 See you THURSDAY! 🙂

34. April 4, 2011 / 11:25 am

looks like fun! glad you had a good time 🙂

35. April 4, 2011 / 11:26 am

Really nice setup, I hope you have continued success.

36. April 4, 2011 / 11:33 am

Looks like you did a really great job! I’m impressed! Your displays are so pretty!

37. April 4, 2011 / 12:17 pm

oh everything looks so pretty!! i only wish i lived closer so i could come on out and visit these fun events!

38. April 4, 2011 / 1:20 pm

Hey Sandy, wow you displayed your items so beautifully! I have not rented a booth at any fairs or events because I just do not have that sort of creative vision and am afraid of failure. Hmmm… perhaps it can be learned?

Dim Sum! I <3 dim sum. My family attended a Chinese Church for 8 years and it was dim sum for us every Sunday afternoon. I know, I don't look very asian. It's on the inside.

Have a beautiful week! -S

39. April 4, 2011 / 1:32 pm

Wow! How fun & exciting, Sandy! 🙂 So glad to see that you had such a wonderful time at your first craftbooth experience – and you’ll be having so many more! Please be sure to fill us in on each event – it’s so fun to see how they go! 🙂 I love craft fairs…I wish I could go and visit your booth!

40. April 4, 2011 / 1:47 pm

Everything looks so beautiful! Congrats!
    Nikki

41. April 4, 2011 / 1:53 pm

Looks awesome! Congrats!!!
    I’m sure an inventory spreadsheet of all your products (with colours, pricing, etc.) would really help you keep track of what you sold. Then, as mentioned above, you can just tick off the items when you sell them making it quick and easy and allow you to focus on your customers. Also, I’m sure your items are priced the way they are for many good reasons but it may help to price them in multiples of 5 which leaves you with some easier math to do in your head. If everything is $5, $10, $15, adding it up could be easier. It may not be a good suggestion but just a thought. 🙂

42. April 4, 2011 / 2:54 pm

Wow, I never knew about Square until now. THAT is truly amazing!

43. April 4, 2011 / 2:55 pm

your table looks adorable sandy!! i want to get a drawer like that now for my future shows! perfection!

44. April 4, 2011 / 2:59 pm

I love how ute your table is! And I’m glad you were able to sell some things & learn some lessons!

45. April 4, 2011 / 3:59 pm

I absolutely love the way you displayed your items! So unique and perfect! Great tips!

46. April 4, 2011 / 5:06 pm

not sure if someone already mentioned this (above) already. i think if its an event where you’ll sit down more often than standing up, having lower displays will not hide/cover you. 🙂 but if you’re going to be up and about, those tall displays you had are great because they pop/stand out of the table.

47. April 4, 2011 / 5:10 pm

Your booth looks so fabulous! 🙂

48. April 4, 2011 / 5:20 pm

sandy, these are great tips because I am doing a few craft shows this summer too and have never done them before!! thank you!

49. Christy Z.
    April 4, 2011 / 6:11 pm

Your booth looks awesome! Everything looks lovely 🙂

50. April 4, 2011 / 6:23 pm

you did an awesome job with your first ever booth! props to you!

51. steph
    April 4, 2011 / 6:47 pm

Yay!! Cute booth and congrats!!!

I like the creative presentation, especially the teacup on a doily 🙂

My pet peeve about booths (whether it be an informational/organization booth or craft/sales) completely does not apply to you because you are super friendly! The pet peeve is when the person sits behind their table and doesn’t talk to people or isn’t friendly. I like when people are smiling, attentive, proactive, and standing up/to the side of the table 🙂

52. April 4, 2011 / 7:19 pm

OMG. Where have I been?!! How come I had no idea you had an etsy shop? I know you talked about setting up your booth and all that but I really didn’t know about all the cute bows and rings and pretties that you sell.

Your booth turned out awesome! 🙂

53. April 4, 2011 / 7:43 pm

WOW! This is awesome! I’ve been thinking about selling my own stuff soon at a booth..and this has me SO inspired! Thank you sooo much!!

54. April 4, 2011 / 9:53 pm

Well I don’t know anything about the details of doing a booth, but I can tell you that yours looks beautiful!! I’m so sorry I couldn’t make it! That was the night that we locked ourselves out of our house and didn’t end up having dinner with my family until 8:00!! Not the smartest move. Anyway, hopefully I’ll make the next one!

55. tintin
    April 4, 2011 / 10:18 pm

awww sandy your booth was too cute!! i really wish i could have gone to support ya! i really like the way you used the vintage teacup to show your rings, that would be cute even in the bedroom for jewelry! <3 you!!

56. April 5, 2011 / 8:35 am

wow sandy! love your display and the array of colors!!! your hairpins looks like candy! congrats to the success of your etsy shop~

57. April 5, 2011 / 9:17 am

Congrats on a great display and day!! I love how you broke the day down with what worked, what didn’t and where you got what for your supplies. Sandy, continued success to you!

58. April 5, 2011 / 10:31 am

you did an amazing job putting everything together! sorry i cant really give u much pointers since I have no experience and I cant really make anything lol..btw your asian..you should be good at math! 😉 sorry had to put that in there 😉 have a great day dear!

59. April 5, 2011 / 1:19 pm

it looks like you had an wonderful time. not to mention you had a chance to share your pretty wares with everyone. thanks for sharing so much about the event; even your tips for being at a show. yay you! wishing you more success on your biz + your blog today and always.

60. April 5, 2011 / 1:32 pm

awesome! the set up looks great. congrats!

xo.ashley

61. April 5, 2011 / 9:58 pm

yay~ congrats!!!!!! i absolutely love the way you set everything up! it’s perfect! and all that stuff you made is so cute. so happy for you on a successful event! i’m sure the next one will be even better for you~ yay!

62. April 5, 2011 / 11:17 pm

looks like a fun event. your table was very cute! i love the framed price list. and the wood container with all of the little compartments for your pieces is such a great thing to have 🙂

here are a few random thoughts that i’ve implemented. a mirror is handy for those who try your items on 🙂 a lookbook w/ your items modeled is a good way to give potential customers inspiration on how to style your pieces. and have a mailing list and ask customers if they want to sign up to learn more about you, upcoming shows, etc.

good luck on your next show!!

63. April 6, 2011 / 11:15 am

I love the way your layed out your booth! Especially the rings on the tea cup. So cute.

64. April 6, 2011 / 8:05 pm

congrats on the smashing sucess, sandy!! that is so awesome, and i have loved watching your business GROW! 😀

65. April 6, 2011 / 9:50 pm

Sandy, I love your setup! Especially the wood tray filled with goodies. And your stamp is so so cute – I love how it looks on your tags.

66. April 7, 2011 / 2:55 am

Sandy! 🙂 Your booth looks soooo wonderful! Your products are adorable!

67. April 7, 2011 / 9:38 am

Congrats on a successful event, Sandy 🙂 Can I have some dim sum? Sounds so perfect for lunch right now. Too bad I’m currently working in hickville, usa hahah

68. April 10, 2011 / 7:04 pm

Congrats on a successful first booth set up 🙂